I was craving Italian food last night, specifically, a big ol’ pile of pasta. But grains are out of my life. Turns out, it’s not the noodles I want, but those wonderful Italian spices.
Italian “Sausage” Sauté
[Makes a 3-block Zone dinner; approx. 7 points for the whole meal, including dessert]
- 1-lb. ground turkey, chicken, or lean beef
- Penzeys Italian Sausage Seasoning
- Penzeys Italian Herb Blend
- fruit and nuts for dessert
What to do:
1. Heat a pan over medium-high heat and heat your favorite fat source; I like coconut oil. Mix the ground meat with 1 tablespoon Penzeys Sausage Seasoning until well-blended. Brown the meat in the pan and set aside.
2. Same pan: re-heat, then toss in sliced zucchini and sprinkle with Penzeys Italian Herb Blend and garlic salt. Sauté ’til desired texture. Set aside.
3. Cook broccoli. I defrost frozen florets in the microwave, then quickly sauté in a pan with a little fat and garlic salt to give ‘em zing. If you like steamed broccoli, good on you! I need everything to have some brown, crispy edges, even my broccoli.
You’re ready to assemble. This is the exciting part!
4. Throw a serving size of the meat and zucchini back into the pan. Stir ’til heated through. Plate up!
5. Eat. Enjoy. Feel smug that you cooked something so delicious and healthy.
6. Have dessert! 1 cup of strawberries or 1/2 cup of blueberries or 1 cup of cantaloupe… with some almonds.
Want to modify? You can…
- add chopped tomatoes to the sauté
- put the broccoli into the sauté, too (so bold!)
- add a sprinkle of crushed red pepper
- skip the nuts for dessert and top your pasta with sliced olives instead (5 olives = 1 block)
- replace the Italian seasoning with thyme and… voila! it’s French.
Post a comment
Like what you've read? Got something to say? Lay it on me!