Pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment

Back in the good ol’ days of my 30s, we lived in San Francisco. The economy was booming, swing music was all the rage, and we spent Thursday nights at the Hi-Ball Lounge (photo of Frank behind the bar, leopard velvet settees), sipping martinis and working on our East Coast Swing with the cool cats and kittens. We followed the Brian Setzer Orchestra on tour for summer vacation and rocked our faces off with Social Distortion at the Hootenanny.

And we watched the movie Swingers. My favorite scenes are, of course, the big dance number, “little baby’s all grows up,” and Mike’s excruciating multi-call debacle.

This might be my very, very favorite: Pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment. Enjoy!

Enlightened Dino-Chow Pancakes
[Hugs of thanks to Performance Menu for the paleo pancake recipe.]

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c maple almond butter
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
coconut oil

Instructions:
1. Mix all of the ingredients except the coconut oil in a bowl. Stir well, until you have a uniform batter.

2. Use a bit of coconut oil to grease a non stick skillet. Spread some of the batter into the skillet to form a pancake, then cook over low/medium heat. Flip after 1 to 2 minutes, being careful not to burn them.

3. Serve with turkey bacon or homemade sausage (ground beef/pork mixed with Penzeys breakfast sausage seasoning). Top ‘em with chopped peaches, strawberries, raspberries, or apples sauteed with a little Penzeys Apple Pie Spice.

Tags: , ,

21 Responses to “Pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment”

1. Barbara says:

holy yum

2. Aaron says:

Paleo-pancakes are awesome!! AND- I was catching up on your posts and saw a little something about DEAD-HANG PULLUPS! Way to go Mel!

3. Melicious says:

Thanks, Aaron! It's less impressive than it sounds. I can only do them one at a time — like, I need to rest 5 minutes before I can do a second one. AND I can only do it if my toes are on the ground or I'm standing on a box. I can't actually do it from a DEAD HANGING position. But I'm getting there.

So, I'll conditionally accept the kudos with a promise that I'll get a REAL one soon and then we can really celebrate.

4. georgia says:

*sigh* Vince Vaughn *heart a-fluttering*

You totally just made my day…and determined my post-UTB celebratory breakfast!

5. Awesome pancakes, yum, cant wait to try them! :-)

6. Samara says:

I just began paleo eating this week and have been “pinning” recipes to try. Thanks for all your recipes and inspiration! p.s. I love that you also love CeeLo and Penzey’s. I will be checking back often!

7. kelsey says:

will this work well as waffles? these look awesome!

8. Cori says:

This has become a staple treat for me. We tried Heating and mashing bananas to replace apple sauce when we were out and it was delicious! We even put the bananas sauce on top. Yum! With blueberries was delish too! Who knew u could make a completely flour less pancake! These are even way better! No tummy ache following these either. :) thx Melissa!

9. elizabeth says:

if you are Whole 30 approved, how do you use vanilla extract when it contains corn syrup. just wondering! my daughter is so missing pancakes, I would love to serve this, but it goes against the whole 30 concept and we are finishing week one.

10. Becca says:

What is “Maple Almond Butter”, is it just maple syrup added to almond butter? Thanks!

11. Make your own vanilla, it is very easy.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_vanilla_extract/ (use potato vodka: CHOPIN)

12. Miryam says:

Hi!! Thanks for the recipe Mel!!

I just made these with chocolate almond butter instead and they are yummy!!! In case you might crave some chocolate!!!
    Thanks for the awesome stuff!!! I am loving this new way of eating!