Dinner and a Movie™: Step Brothers and Chicken Coconut Curry

Dave and I, after much painful trial and error, have declared Sundays “socializing-free zones,” which means that except for major occasions – like a friend’s recent wedding – we don’t make plans with other humans on Sundays. It’s our day to sleep late, do laundry, cook for the week, taunt the cat about being a skinny-ass Zombie beast, read books, take a nap, sit in the yard and think about nothing… or scrap all of that and just lie in bed with the A/C cranked while watching an entire season of a TV show on DVD.

Once the chores are done, we reward ourselves with Dinner & A Movie™. Our dining room table faces the TV, so we dim the lights and sit side-by-side, just like the Alamo Drafthouse, only Paleo-Zone-friendly and free.

This week, we had Chicken Coconut Curry and watched the Judd Apatow/Will Ferrell film Step Brothers. I give the dinner 4 stars; my compliments to the cook (me!). The movie gets 4 stars for making me laugh out loud so many times, and 1 star for grossing me out just as frequently.

Our Menu
Chicken Coconut Curry
Snap peas & cucumber
Strawberries

The Movie: Step Brothers
“Brennan (Will Ferrell) and Dale (John C. Reilly) are two middle-aged loafers who are forced to live together when their parents get married. When the reluctant step-siblings’ immature antics over TV privileges and personal property take their toll on the marriage, the devious duo hatch a hysterical scheme to reunite the couple.”

Why this movie is AWESOME:

• The clip above. “I haven’t had a carb since 2004.”
  • It stars Adam Scott as Derek, the evil brother, who forces his family to sing GNR’s “Sweet Child O’ Mine” in a cappella 4-part harmony. [I should mention that I'm currently a little Adam-mad because we just watched the entire first season of "Party Down," a painfully brutal and funny comedy starring Adam S. Watch it on Roku or DVD!]
  • Will. Ferrell.
  • Awkward hugging, awkward kissing, awkward stupidity
  • The brothers wear tuxedos and sneakers to a job interview, which they insist on attending and conducting together.
  • Cameo appearance by Seth Rogan

RECIPE
I’ve shared the Coconut Curry recipe before, but this time, I remembered to take photos.

1. First, I sauteed onions, thinly-sliced jalapenos, and a bunch of garlic in olive oil.
2. Then I added previously grilled chicken…
3. … and a pile of previously steamed green beans.
4. When all those ingredients were heated through, I added the spice blend and stir-fried until the whole kitchen smelled like an exotic and mysterious spice market where spies sidle suspiciously.

Here’s the spice blend (for 1/2-lb. of protein):
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp ground ginger

Then I added 1/2 cup coconut milk and a handful of fresh basil leaves. The sauce thickened and the basil wilted in about 4 minutes. Then it was time to serve and dig in.

Here’s the tray, loaded down with the rest of our feast.

This recipe? Highest recommendations. I’ve tried it with both chicken and beef, lots of jalapenos and just one, with veggies mixed in and with veggies alongside. It works in EVERY permutation. It’s the food equivalent of the perfect black boots – dressy/casual/classic/funky… totally reliable and awesome at the same time.

The movie? I only recommend it if a) you can pretend to be a 14-year-old boy and b) you won’t lower your opinion of me for thinking that movie was some funny sh*t.

I’m excited to once again join the food punk rockers on Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade.

Tags: , , , , ,

13 Responses to “Dinner and a Movie™: Step Brothers and Chicken Coconut Curry”

1. Barbara says:

I heart your recipes! you have completely inspired me to eat more veggies..wohooooo

2. MelissaG says:

For some reason I really want to watch the movie now. Is that wrong considering I'm not 14 or a boy?

3. Melicious says:

Seriously. I was embarrassed by how much it made me laugh 'cause it was SO dumb and bad. But I couldn't help myself. It's like when you're 14 and at a slumber party and you just get giggly and can't stop. Like that. Loved it.

4. Catherine Hart Rebholz says:

YUM! As soon as I am easing Nightshades in…I'm trying this one. I'm totally in love with everything I have tried from your blog so I know this is going to rock…just like you!

Veggie Report:
    1 entire cucumber
    3 cups spinach
    1/4 cup chopped carrots
    8 snowpeas
    1/3 cup green beans
    1/4 cup water chestnuts (paleo?)
    about 4 cups romaine lettuce
    1/8 cup chopped mushrooms

Sleep Report:
    finally fell asleep at 11pm but was lucky enough to sleep in till 8am. So I got my 9 hours! BUT, my hubby had 2 sneezing explosions in the middle of the night (bad allergies) so I lost some quality in the middle there. Overall B+ sleep.

I'm super craving carbs today.
    Ate WAY too many almonds to satisfy craving.

How is everyone else?

5. Littles says:

That movie is hilarious!
    So you are stuck with the weight loss thing, I'm wondering if you ever do a cheat meal, like full blown, once a month or so. Or does that fall into your "don't ever cheat" catagory? Or are you referring to workouts? I ask because a lot of people have the theory that it jump starts the metabolism. personally if I do that once a week I just don't lose weight.
    What do you think?

6. Erin says:

I'm in love. I'm typing this message with my bowl of chicken curry on the table. I took two bites and had to write about how good this is! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

7. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Erin –> Thanks for typing between bites! Glad you like it!

8. Margaret says:

I can’t tell you how many times I have made this recipe and many others on your site. Love it!

9. Mark Taylor says:

Needed a late night (Whole30 compliant) meal after a long jam session, so when I got home I decided to make this with some pork I had (3rd meal with these lovely country cut boneless rib). Of course, I didn’t have any leftovers so I had to “make the leftovers” first” (cooked up some carrots for the vegetable). Even so, it took very little time to make and was just amazing! Been cooking a lot from your site this week (Day 6 today). Can’t wait to get the book!

Glad to hear the coconut curry saved the day. It SUCKS to be super hungry and scavenging the fridge — coconut milk + protein + veg is a handy trick. YAY!

10. Stacey says:

This sounds super tasty! I am glad someone else loves that movie. I think it is genius in it’s stupidity. Always makes me laugh so hard my tummy hurts. My favorite movie in the stupid category.

11. [...] (Chicken coconut curry with green beans and red bell peppers) [...]

12. Michelle says:

OMG, this was awesome! Thank you so much for posting the recipe. I just made the curry for dinner using ground beef. Will definitely be making again and again.