Best Stir-Fry Sauce EVER™. For Real.

Left to my own devices, I tend toward Mediterranean or Middle-Eastern seasonings: cumin, fresh parsley, lemon juice, garlic. I like to make dishes that taste like they’d be best enjoyed on a sun-dappled patio, overlooking an olive grove or turquoise blue waters.

But my main man Dave, he likes Asian. Every Friday afternoon, he takes himself out to lunch at Zen, and more often than not, when I just can’t bear to cook (those days do happen), he offers to pickup my standard Zen order (salmon, double karma mix, wheat-dairy-gluten-free green curry sauce, no noodles, no rice).

When we went to Penzeys Spices a few months ago, he picked up some Chinese Five Spice Powder so we could sprinkle transform veggies and protein from “ingredients” into “dinner.” Five Spice Powder includes all five essential flavors – sweet, sour, bitter, pungent, and salty – in the form of pepper, anise, cloves, cinnamon, and fennel.

The recipe below is inspired by the one printed on the back of the Penzeys label; I just decreased the amount of honey and added the chili-garlic sauce for zing.

hr_brown1BestStir-FrySauceEver

Best Stir-Fry Sauce EVER™

Makes enough for approximately 8 oz. of protein and 4 cups of veggies

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons coconut aminos or homemade substitute
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
2 teaspoons Chinese Five Spice Powder
1/2 teaspoon honey (if you’re doing a strict Whole30, leave it out)
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon chili garlic paste

Directions:
1. Blend all of the above in a small bowl and set aside.

2. Stir fry your favorite veggies and protein in coconut oil until desired tenderness.

3. Add the stir-fry sauce and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened and heated through. Drizzle with a little bit of sesame oil.

4. Eat! Enjoy! Be sure to inhale the exotic aroma!

hr_brown1

Delicious Combos

One of my favorite combos: ground lamb with red bell peppers, green beans, cabbage, and onions. I blanch the green beans before stir frying so they’re tender, but not mushy. The onions and red pepper can just be sauteed in oil to make them crisp-tender.

Every protein source I’ve tried – beef (ground or sliced), chicken, shrimp, and lamb – has been great with this sauce. Here are some veggies combos that I really like:

• Broccoli, slivered carrot, and mushrooms
  • Snow peas, snap peas, and red pepper
  • Eggplant, red peppers, chunks of cabbage, and onion
  • Slivered carrot with a pepper medley: sweet green, sweet red, Anaheim, poblano – all sliced thin and sauteed with yellow onion
  • Okra, eggplant, snow peas, and yellow onion

hr_brown1
Bonus Cooking Tip

The way a vegetable is sliced affects how quickly it cooks, it’s texture, and it’s mouth-feel. Try to cut all your veggies for stir frys into approximately even-sized pieces so they cook uniformly. Chunks of peppers taste very different than slivers. Carrot coins are different than grated or matchsticks. Chunks of cabbage cook to a different texture than thin slices. Change the shape, change your dish.

I usually pick one shape for a stir fry and stick to it. Sometimes it’s all 1-inch chunks (peppers, cabbage, and eggplant, for example); other times it’s slivers (green beans, red pepper, onion).

Experiment to see which you like the best. You really can’t go wrong, especially if you use the Best Stir Fry Sauce EVER.™

hr_brown1

I’m excited to once again join the punk rocker foodies on Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade.

hr_brown1

Tags: , ,

14 Responses to “Best Stir-Fry Sauce EVER™. For Real.”

1. That Chelsea Girl™ says:

I just made stir-fry last night, I will have to try your sauce out next time.

2. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Let me know if you like it! It really is good on just about everything.

3. Jessica says:

What brand of chili garlic paste do you use and what section of the store do you find it in? The only pastes I currently keep on hand are anchovy, tomato, and Thai red curry… Thanks!

4. [...] Joulwan Of The Clothes Make The Girl Wasn’t Kidding or Being Arrogant When She Named it The Best  Stir-Fry Sauce EVER.  Ingredients include coconut aminos, OJ, Chinese 5 Spice Powder, crushed garlic, honey (optional), [...]

5. crystal says:

would this sauce work even without the OJ ?

It will work without the OJ, but adding something a little sweet helps balance the flavors. The original recipes mostly included honey, so I added fruit juice instead. If you have some unsweetened applesauce, you could add that… or pineapple juice from a can of unsweetened pineapple.

6. Susie L says:

Can you make any of your sauces ahead of time? I was reading through your (amazingly, wonderfully awesome) cookbook last night and like your recommendations for prepping your food on Sundays.

Absolutely! Most of them are good for 5-7 days. Just let your nose and your tastebuds be your guide — if they smell good and a tiny taste of it tastes fresh, you’re good to go.

7. Yvonne says:

I am going to try this tonight will let you know what I think of it.

8. Deb says:

Daughter has a sensitivity to coconut. Sub for aminos?

There’s no paleo substitute, but you could use gluten-free soy sauce if you’re not concerned about the soy.

You can also use fish sauce (make sure there are no added ingredients — Red Boat Fish Sauce is awesome). It will change the flavor quite a bit, but will add the salty taste the soy or coconut aminos provides.

9. Stephanie says:

Maybe it was my Chinese 5 spice blend, but the sauce tasted really cinnamon-heavy. The smell and taste was so overwhelming it was all I could taste. The next time I used this recipe I used all of the ingredients (except honey as i’m on whole 30), but used a dash of the chinese 5 spice and a lot of garlic and ginger powder – it came out a lot better. Again, maybe it’s just my blend.

10. Shonna says:

Used this one on stir-fried onions and cabbage, with ground pork and egg. Used lemon juice instead of orange, and cinnamon and pepper instead of 5-spice. Love!

11. […] Best Stir-Fry Sauce EVER™ - from The Clothes Make the Girl […]