Kibbeh Sinayee (Lamb Diamonds!)

It’s been said that diamonds are a girl’s best friend.

I say diamonds are a girl’s (and boy’s) best friend when they’re made out of meat!

I think I was really missing my family last week, ’cause I dug into some Lebanese family favorites. I had cravings for tahini dressing… and turned my spinach into Lemony Spinach… and I transformed ground lamb in Kibbeh Sinayee, a.k.a. baked lebanese meatloaf, a.k.a., Lamb Diamonds.

This recipe has multi-steps and is potentially on the fussier side of things – but the little bit of extra time required pays off BIG TIME in taste. Basically, you make a sort of lamb paté and a crumbled lamb filling, then you layer them in a pan and bake. Authentic kibbeh uses cracked wheat as a binder. It makes the meatloaf portion tender to the bite and adds a slight nutty flavor. I replaced the cracked wheat with riced (defrosted frozen) cauliflower, and it worked just great!

This kibbeh tastes awesome hot out of the oven or at room temperature. And like other homemade goodies, the flavors improve it if sits in the fridge for a day or two. I might have eaten some directly from the fridge with my hands at snack time. Maybe.

Here’s the end result. See? Diamond shapes!

Kibbeh Sinayee (Lamb Diamonds!)

Ingredients:
1 cup steamed fresh or frozen cauliflower
2 medium onions
2 pounds ground lamb
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried mint leaves
1 teaspoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon ghee, coconut oil or other saturated fat
1-2 tablespoons pine nuts

Directions:1. Place cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until it’s the consistency of rice. Be careful! You don’t want it to mash. When it’s the right size, place in a large mixing bowl and set aside.

2. Peel one of the onions and cut into large dice. Place in the bowl of the food processor and add 1 pound lamb, allspice, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, mint, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Process on high until it starts to become paté-like, scraping down the bowl occasionally to make sure everything gets incorporated. Take a sniff and inhale the earthy mint and cumin smells! Awesome.

3. When you’re happy with the texture, add the lamb mixture to the bowl with the cauliflower, wet your hands, and mix well until the cauliflower is distributed evenly in the lamb paté. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.

4. Time to make the filling! Heat the cooking fat in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 2-3 minutes. Peel the remaining onion and cut into a very small dice, then sauté the onion, pine nuts, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper until the onion is translucent and soft, and the pine nuts are beginning to brown, about 7-10 minutes.

5. Crumble 1 pound of ground lamb into the pan, breaking up the chunks with a wooden spoon and sautéeing until it’s no longer pink. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the meat filling to come to room temperature.

Assembling the Diamonds:
1. Heat the oven to 400F. Grease an 8- or 9-inch round pan with a little coconut oil or ghee.

2. Place half the “lamb paté” in the bottom of the pan. Wet your hands and smooth the kibbeh until it’s an even layer. Spoon all of the lamb+pine nut filling on top of the kibbeh base; spread evenly.

4. Place the remaining paté on top of the lamb filling, wet your hands, and smooth the kibbeh over the filling to make a pie.

5. Hold a sharp knife under cold running water, then use it to make diamond patterns on the top of the kibbeh sinayee.

6. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until browned and firm. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing and eating. If you decide to let it “mature” in the fridge, which I recommend you do, just cover with foil and re-heat in a 300F oven for 15-20 minutes or until hot.
hr_brown

Tastes Great With…

To make this into a feast, serve it with any of these guys:
Lemony Spinach a la TMJ
Lettuce, tomato, and cucumber drizzled with tahini dressing
Cauliflower Frouscous Pilaf
Turkish Salad
Moroccan Orange Salad

hr_brown
How-To Photos

This is the lamb “paté” that forms the crust.
The bottom layer spread in the pan.
The lamb+pine nut filling.
Ready to go into the oven.
Ready to eat!

Also, it’s not Lebanese or about food, but I couldn’t resist this video. WHO COULD RESIST THIS VIDEO?

hr_brown

Tags: , , , ,

32 Responses to “Kibbeh Sinayee (Lamb Diamonds!)”

1. Maggie says:

a few things unrelated to this post:

1. i miss our deep eddy days.
    2. i STILL have your key from smudge-sitting forever and a day ago.
    3. i was at a friend's place the other day and looked at her computer and lo and behold it was YOUR blog! i said, "hey! that's my friend mel!" and she said, "hey! that's where i get a bunch of awesome recipes!" and i smiled. :)

2. Lydia says:

You had me at "lamb pate."

GOD, I love pate.

3. PW says:

This looks delicious– you are always such an inspiration for fun good clean eating. I wonder if this could be made into individual pies for picnics! I might have to try it this weekend! Thanks for the recipe.

4. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

MAGGIE! I really miss our bootcamp days, too. Was just thinking about it yesterday, actually. MAN! That was so much fun and such an inspiring, uplifting group of people. Big hugs to you, pretty lady.

Lydia –> My family ate raw kibbeh a lot when I was growing up. You make it kinda like steak tartare only it's lamb with mint and cracked wheat… then spread it on homemade pita and drizzle with olive oil. OMG. SO good. But now I mostly eat it baked. And no bread. sigh

PW –> I think it would work GREAT in little pies… you could use a large muffin tin and follow the same layering technique. If you try it, let me know how it comes out. And if I beat you to it, I'll update the blog post.

5. Anonymous says:

I'm a new-comer to your blog and I'm loving it!! Keep it up! On another note, I don't really care for lamb…would this work with ground beef or turkey?? What are your thoughts??—Thanks. Erin

6. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Hi, Erin! Glad you like the blog! YES, this will work with beef, turkey, or a blend. BUT take out the mint. The cinnamon and allspice will taste great with beef/turkey, but in my experience, mint only works with beef in Thai food. If you're a mint fan, ignore my advice. Enjoy! And let me know how you like it!

7. Emily says:

This looks deviously delicious. I can't wait to try it, my family is in for a Sunday treat! Maybe I could even bring it to Easter dinner since my guy doesn't eat pork (worse still, my brother's sister is a vegetarian!). Thank you, this is inspired.

8. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Emily –> I have another lamb recipe to share soon: lamb shanks. That could be nice for Easter, too. Shoot me an email and I'll send it to you, if you want. The blog post isn't ready yet, but I'm glad to share the recipe.

9. Natalie says:

Awesome work on the kibbeh!!! I am lebanese and its one of my favorite dishes and i love how you transformed it, ill have to let my mom know back home since its one of her specialties and she cant have bulgur anymore(due to health problems) and since its originally made with that she will be excited to try this, I am almost 100% paleo and transformed recipies like this are encouraging!!

10. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Natalie –> I'm gradually working my way through family recipes and favorite cookbooks to revamp traditional foods. Glad to know it's helping you, too!

11. Food Renegade says:

This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. I love me some lamb!

~Kristen

12. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Kristen! Hi! The best thing about this dish? It really gets better with age. Make it and forget about it for day or so, then dig in. AWESOME! Finding in the fridge is like learning someone else made you a delicious meal.

13. Mary says:

I had a little cooking fest with your recipies this weekend — delicious!

I made this recipe, the beet salad and your homemade mayo! It has been good eating this week.

Isn't it so funny that through the internet, your recipies from your home in Texas are being made in my kitchen in Denver? Blogs do build a little community of their own.

14. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Mary –> How fun! Thanks for letting me know… I love feeling like we're friends swapping kitchen stories. Happy cooking and eating!

15. Abe says:

I made this tonight. My 4 year old and I ate almost the whole thing! It was sooooo good. I made one mistake of trying to make this afterwork, so I didnt get to eat until 7:30 PM. This is definitely a Saturday/Sunday afternoon dish. Thanks for sharing it!

Abe –> If it’s kid-approved, you know it has to be good :-) And yes, it’s a little time-consuming… but it also tastes better if it sits for a few days, so it’s definitely the kind of thing you can make in advance, then re-heat.

17. Stefanie says:

I just made this for dinner and i used almond meal instead of the cauliflower, it gave it that bulghur taste. It is delish!! Thanks.

18. [...] 26, 2011 by The Foodee Kibbeh Sinayee (Lamb Diamonds) The Clothes Make The [...]

19. sarena says:

This looks AWESOME but I gave up all nuts. I wonder if it would work without, thoughts?

20. sarena says:

Or what I could replace the pine nuts with! Thanks.

Hey, Sarena! It will be fine if you just leave the nuts out. The ground meat and onions will taste great sans nuts, and you’ll still get the nice texture mix between the “pate” and the ground meat. Enjoy!

21. [...] 11.05.27 Kibbeh Sinayee (Lamb Diamonds) The Clothes Make The [...]

22. Emilie says:

Made this the other day–it was delish!! Planning to make the fouscous for our CF bbq this weekend. Can’t wait!

Awesome! I’m glad you liked it! This was one of my favorite dishes as a kid, so I’m really happy to have figured out how to get it back in my life… and to be able to share it!

23. Harmony says:

hi – just found your blog from Everyday Paleo and was so excited to see this kibbeh recipe! I love love love kibbeh and now that I’m eating paleo I was thinking how much I miss it. Good to know I can sub the cauliflower for the burghul and also as someone else said the almond flour works too. I can’t wait for you to modify more of your Lebanese foods. I love Arabic food, and my boyfriend is Lebanese, so the more of my favorites that can become paleo, the better! Maybe you’re working on a ma’amoul recipe???
    Thanks and I look forward to exploring your blog.

Glad you’re excited about the kibbeh recipe! I’m definitely working on more favorites, but I’m not convinced there’s a way to paleo-ize ma’amoul that won’t ruin the experiece! Ma’amoul might have to be one of those “once a year treats.” :-)

24. Amanda says:

I have grown up eating all of the wonderful Lebanese foods. My husband turned me on to eating Paleo and I’ve had to leave much of it by the wayside. When I saw this post I got incredibly excited!! I never thought to try cauliflour!! Thank you so much for this!

Hey, Amanda! I’m glad you found me! My plan for the next few months is to work my way through other family recipes, so there should be more Lebanese/Middle Eastern food soon. I just got back from a trip to Paris and Prague and got some great ideas for stuff in the Moroccan restaurants in Paris. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

25. [...] meatloaf or maybe some sorta shepherds pie? i am about to mince up some lamb and make some kibbeh Kibbeh Sinayee (Lamb Diamonds!) | theclothesmakethegirl mutton just has a stronger flavour so i am sure it would be fine. you could make a ragu sauce or [...]

26. Rafedah Carella says:

Wow! I am Jordanian born and fed! I love my new paleo lifestyle but these are the things I miss! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have to say, your paleo tabouleh and koubeh recipes seem more authentic than most of the other “traditional” recipes I’ve seen on the internet or in restaurants! I will be making both this weekend! Thanks again!

Hi, Rafedah! Glad you found me and my paleoized Middle Eastern recipes. There are more on the way!

Thank you so much for your sweet words about the recipes. Have fun cooking this weekend! Hope you enjoy them!

27. jess jk says:

My husband’s family is Lebanese and every gathering requires a huge tray of kibbeh neyeh, you know, the raw kind. Do you think the cauliflower would work in that? We make the baked kind at home all the time for the kids, so I know I have this recipe PINNED forever!

28. Janet says:

I have to say I was skeptical when this baby came out of the oven. Mine did not have that nice brown top but instead looked a little like dead-gray. I knew to look beyond that. Tasty Tasty.

I actually wish for more of the pate part and am thinking it might be interesting to bake it on its own. What do you think?

And boy are you right! The day after…super tasty. This is a definite go to keeper!

P.S. did anyone else get a little grossed out when the fat of the lamb separated when raw? That just didn’t want to come of my hands!