Cupcakes Are Evil

Today is “Birthday Day” at our office, which means cupcakes (with sprinkles on top!) to celebrate all the people with birthdays this month. I, of course, declined. Again. [sigh]

I’m in a conference room RIGHT NOW with people eating cupcakes and the aroma of the frosting is pretty hard to endure. I ADORE frosting, and I LOVE the smell. This is pretty much torture, and I’m feeling a bit sorry for myself just now. But…

A friend sent me this really funny and totally ridiculous but supremely awesome animated gif, and it makes me stupid-happy.

Suck it, sprinkle cupcakes! I’ve got a snack of creamy, spicy kale with organic, grass-fed beef for later. It’s not as “fun” as cupcakes, but it’s ever-so-much better, no?

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “Cupcakes Are Evil”

1. Becca says:

I feel your pain! I am a pastry chef and have been paleo for about 3 months. So difficult at times, but how I feel (and am starting to look) makes it okay :-) Hang in there!!

2. Lauren Marie says:

Oh my goodness! I know this stuggle, I love the smell too, because of that I’ve invested in quite a few vanilla candles and lotions. @Becca, I’m a Pastry Chef as well! I know it’s hard but I find knowing exactly whats going into the things I bake makes them easier to resist because they aren’t real food.

3. Well, I indulged in a non-Paleo dinner at the Happy Hour tonight and I already regret it. The heartburn and indigestion are back. I was feeling so much better after a couple of weeks on the wagon. I am not a happy Cupcake Head.

You did the right thing. *8urp* Ugh.

Dear friends, I had one bite of my co-worker’s cupcake. It was very, very good, and I was quite pleased that I enjoyed the taste sensation without sabotaging myself. Win!

5. Lisa says:

Luckily I’m not a huge cake (or frosting) lover. I could pass on cupcakes, UNLESS they’re covered in a ton of chocolate frosting. My weakness is chocolate :(

My weakness is butter cream frosting. I don’t usually like things that are too sweet, but there’s something about the tooth-aching sweetness of frosting that makes me got a little nutty.

6. Angel says:

I know exactly how you feel. Had a going away breakfast party at the office last week for a coworker. I took Krispy Kreme glazed (sinfully delicious) doughnuts and did not touch one of them. Epic WIN for me. Luckily I ate a couple of poached eggs for breakfast before going to work or I might have been more tempted. Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing everyday trials we all face at the office. ~A~

YAY for eggs! And bravo to you for resising Krispy Kreme. Intellectually, I know they’re yucky, but emotionally, my taste buds want ‘em ;-)

7. Catherine says:

In the main area at my old office food from various events would always be placed on the filing cabinets. Donuts, baked goods, homemade stuff, bagels- you name it.

My technique for surviving that (and it only worked if i REALLY WANTED it to work) was to get angry at the people for bring it to the office. Never out loud. But in my head I would say “These PEOPLE are deliberately sabotaging me! I have nothing but contempt for them and their stupid cupcakes” then go merrily back to my workstation.

HA! Love that technique.

I have also used this: pretend that someone sneezed on and/or licked all the food sitting out in the open. It’s instantly unappetizing.

8. Dawn says:

I love the picture and when I clicked on the link it made it even better….tooooo funny! My office gives out food all the time….cookies, cakes, ice cream, cupcakes, pizza…you name it!

The office food thing is really out of hand. I kinda feel like a trapped rat that they’re trying to make docile by feeding me sugar and vegetable-oil fats.

9. Shannon says:

I deal with this every morning at work! My office puts a tray of pastries, muffins, bagels, whatever right next to the coffee every morning.

Of course, I can’t go without my coffee, so I’m forced to try to ignore them. Which was REALLY hard this morning, because for some reason there were also these GORGEOUS chocolate butter cream frosting cupcakes there with the muffins! Why would they do that? People don’t eat cupcakes for breakfast! I had to assume they were there only to torture me. But I stood strong. :)

Every morning?! That’s crazytown.

Good for you for resisting the cupcakes. And really, are cupcakes so much of a stretch for “breakfast” when people eat chocolate chip muffins? It’s just all sugar. LAME.

10. Meredith says:

Just wanted to chime in, as I can totally relate to this post. Since going strictly Paleo, I’ve had to endure one office birthday celebration and a random ice cream social (that was announced the day of, so I had no warning or ability to prepare!). I was able to resist both times, in part because I had brought fruit with me each of those days. Instead of indulging in the ice cream or (double-chocolate) homemade cake, I sat and ate my watermelon while everyone ate their ice cream. I did the same thing during the birthday celebration; I had a peach that day. I was able to indulge in something sweet when they all did, so I didn’t feel deprived. But my co-worker’s reactions were the most interesting… at the first event, they were curious why I wasn’t having cake and we ended up talking about the Paleo diet for the whole twenty or thirty minutes. Two co-workers even asked me for links to websites and ended up trying the diet! Then, at the second event, a few co-workers were a little hostile, and were actually “offended” that I was eating watermelon instead of ice cream. It seemed as if my healthy choice was making them feel worse about their bad choice, and they were resentful of me for it! No worries, though… I had my watermelon… and my trim waistline!