The Spice & Tea Exchange

I feel very passionately about the things I love (Jane Eyre, Social Distortion, Smudge, Dave), but I try to remain agnostic about other things, lest I miss out on something totally awesome. For example, I’m a loyal follower of the guidelines set forth by the fabulously healthy and smart Melissa and Dallas of Whole9Life, but I also read Mark’s Daily Apple and Robb Wolf and Free The Animal and Nora Gedgaudas because there’s value in hearing lots of good ideas.

As you know, I’m a big fan of Penzeys Spices, but I also satisfy by spice problem (Spice Syndrome™?!) with goodies from The Savory Spice Shop. And now I’ve discovered another delicious source of spicy goodness: The Spice & Tea Exchange.

Founded in 2003, The Spice & Tea Exchange is owned by real people, not a giant corporation, and has franchises in 21 locations. They sell 170 individual spices and dozens of custom blends (Cinnabar Smoke Blend! Jamaican Jerk! Malaysian Ginger Curry!) in 1- and 4-ounce packages. You can explore their product catalog here. One of the things I like a lot about the web site is that it clearly states when spice blends include soy, wheat, and milk. That’s important for us picky eaters.

Visit Me Over There

Each month, I’ll be trying out a seasoning or spice from The Spice & Tea Exchange, then writing about it for their blog. My mission is to introduce the readers of The Spice & Tea Exchange Blog to the concept of paleo and show them that paleo eating is really just delicious eating. My first installment is live!

Spice and Tea has rules about making health-related claims, so I can’t rant too much about the health benefits of paleo. But I was able to talk about how much better we feel when we avoid grains, legumes, dairy, and sugar. And I sold the idea of paleo with “Caveman” Thai Grilled Chicken and Garlic Zucchini Noodles. Read my guest post here.

Tags: ,

17 Responses to “The Spice & Tea Exchange”

1. Jenn in FL says:

Love the Spice and Tea Exchange. I have an entire drawer full of their spices and blends.

2. shayne says:

love them! if you’re wild about spice like i am, you HAVE to try their “pirate’s bite” blend. so spicy and delicious!

3. shayne says:

love them! if you’re wild about heat like i am, you HAVE to try their “pirate’s bite” blend. so spicy and delicious!

4. I am going to start trying curry blends. I’m a sucker for curried anything.

5. Stacey K says:

Their Northwest Salmon Rub is incredible!

6. Ehsa says:

Just browsed their website … Many interesting spice blends, the coconut tea sounds like a treat, and the dried mushrooms! Loved your post on their blog and hope you will alert us when you post there. So long for now — I’m going shopping, online alas … their store ambience sounds like my kind of place.

7. De23 says:

Woot! Coconut tea! I actually ordered a “Cocomint” tea from Adagio, thinking, in my paleo brain, “coconut and mint, yum!” Of course, it’s cocoa and mint. It’s ok, but I’m glad I bought the trial size.

Looking forward to checking out a new source for tea and spices!

8. Sonya says:

Love, love, love their Cinnabar, Pirates Bite and Espresso Rub! The folks at our local Winter Park location totally rock! Bringing you on board just shows how smart they are.

I’m really excited to try their various blends. I’m going to request some of the stuff you guys mentioned and come up with some fun recipes to share. Thanks for commenting!

10. JL says:

another great find!! and there’s one in Dallas! awesome! And so cool they’re letting you guest blog :) the recipe sounds yummmmmy

Visiting the store is so much more fun than web shopping. YAY, nose!

12. Mom says:

I just got my first order from Spice & Tea Exchange. The order came fast and everything is so fresh and fragrant. Thank you daughter for the tip!

13. Mom says:

I forgot to mention the Espresso Steak Rub was amazing on a standing pork roast!

14. Mom says:

Hey Mel, How do I get my picture here?