CrossFit Praha WOD #2

Whew! After gingerbread dumplings and Dacicky Lager for dinner last night, we were moving a little slow this morning. But the alarm said, “Arise, vacationers! And pay your penance.” So we hustled into workout gear, bundled up against the cold rain, and hoofed it the scenic mile — through Wenceslas Square with umbrella-armed locals on their way to work — to CrossFit Praha.

Thanks, Super Stock, for the funny photo.

The whiteboard said: Bear Complex! Hooray and oh, dear.

Warmup
3 rounds:
10/leg lunges
10 PVC good mornings
10 PVC behind-the-neck press
10 KB halos, 12 kg
10 squats
10 Russian swings, 12 kg

WOD
1-10, for time:
bear complex, 48#
burpees
My time: 23:something

I’ve realized that one of the reasons I love Prague so much is that it constantly reminds me that to get anywhere, I must get over my fear of looking stupid. Oh, pride! I will banish you to become an awesome, open, adventurous human.

I had many occasions to look and feel dumb before 8:30 a.m. this morning. Let’s recap:

1. I still don’t remember if I should turn right or left from our alley to get to Wenceslas Square.

2. I didn’t know how to do a halo.

3. I WAY overloaded my barbell for the bear complex because I did the kg-to-lb conversion wrong.

4. No matter how many times I ask a native and practice in the shower, I cannot pronounce the Czech word for goodbye properly. (It’s na shledanou if you want to give it a go yourself. Click here to hear it.)

But just as I keep on working my clean, fight to get more than 23 double-unders in a row, and will myself to stop hating thrusters, I will keep bungling na shledanou until I get it right. And there are far worse things than turning the wrong way down a twisty alley in Prague — that’s where the good stuff happens.

Tags: ,

17 Responses to “CrossFit Praha WOD #2”

1. Tom R. says:

“Bear complex! Hooray and oh, dear.” I don’t know that I will ever forget that perfect description. And kilos? Forget about it. If the number isn’t in 10 kg increments, I have no chance.

2. You are way more courageous than I am, my friend. I’m so glad that you’re doing so many amazing things in foreign lands!

P.s. that bear reminds me of State o’ Maine, Freud’s bear from the Hotel New Hampshire…

• Kat says:

love John Irving!

I have to admit, we were walking very slowly to CF Praha on Monday out of apprehension, even though we know Zdenek and really wanted to go. Once we started moving, it felt just like home. Same stretches, same sweat, same mix of agony and exhilaration. This morning, it felt just like going to our home box. LOVED IT!

3. What is a bear complex? I don’t understand. And is that like a ladder 1-10? They should call it something cuter for the terrified amoung us (me). Like bunny complex or guinea pig complex…

You are so brave!

• Tom R. says:

The Bear Complex is classic CF and is generally done in 5 Rounds with each round consisting of 7 sets of the following:
      Power Clean
      Front Squat
      Push Press
      Back Squat
      Push Press

You can rest anywhere you want during the 7 sets, except the ground (i.e. a grip and shoulder smoker). Rest as needed between rounds; add weight as desired. I’m assuming the 1-10 means they did the complex as a ladder instead of the classic format (i.e. one sequence, one burp; two sequences, two burps).

4. Walker says:

Omg i can’t believe you did that…Way to represent!

5. De23 says:

Yay Bear Complex! Crazy WOD for me today involving snatches outside on a slope and walking with the bar. Ug! But I did 35#!

Kinda off-topic – how are you handling the index for your cookbook? I am continually aggravated the the index for Everyday Paleo, it’s apparently done computerized and is almost worthless. Each ingredient lists page numbers twice if it’s on the page twice, and “crab” references crab walking on an exercise page. And the ingredients are listed exactly as the recipe lists, i.e., there’s nothing under scallops or even sea scallops, it’s under “wild-caught sea scallops.” And for common ingredients it doesn’t give subheadings, just a list of 40 page numbers. Anyway, I’m a librarian so things like this bother me. I found this interesting (to me) article about cookbook indexing: http://www.culinaryindexing.org/grant_article.html

Anyway, I’m hoping you’ll have a real index!

Snatches on a slope?! That sounds… interesting. I want to know more.

As for the index: I’m not using software to do it. It’s all manual because I find that computer-indexed books include both too much and, somehow, not enough detail. I don’t need garlic in an index, for example, but I do want to see a salad listed under both oranges and olives if it includes both, right?!

I swear, I saw a cookbook index recently that includes salt. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

• De23 says:

Hooray! So now I can look forward to not only looking at but actually USING your cookbook! As for the Orange/olive salad, yes under oranges and olives, and under “salad” too.

And if you’re really interested, here was the WOD:
        Snatch-A-Licious: AKA: Walk of Death
        1 Snatch (95/65)
        100m Walk with Bar any way you can carry it…if you drop or set the bar down you owe me 10 Burpees on the spot
        2 Snatch (95/65); walk to 200m mark w/ Bar
        3 Snatch (95/65); walk to 300m mark
        4 Snatch (95/65); walk to 400m mark
        5 Snatch (95/65); Back to 300m
        6 Snatch (95/65); walk to 200m
        7 Snatch (95/65); walk to 100m
        8 Snatch (95/65); Walk Home
        800m run
        I did 15:22 at #35. The interesting part was that our running track, especially at the 100m mark, is on a pretty good slope. Facing downhill seemed to be the best position. The other issue was no chalk out there/forgot gloves = very slick hands!