Two Sites You Need To Know

I don’t generally like to give advice. I’m glad to share my experiences and provide a point of view, but I feel really uncomfortable telling someone else what they should do. And I feel even more uncomfortable when anyone says to me, “You should… blah blah blah.” So I’m not saying you should visit these sites, I’m just saying if you did visit them, you might like them. I do.

Paleo For Women

Now that paleo is settling into itself as a recognized thing, the experts are realizing that when it comes to tweaking the paleo framework to deal with weight loss and/or health issues, it’s not exactly the same for men and women. That’s where Stefani Ruper swoops in, and I’m so glad.

Her deeply researched, well written blog posts cover topics that are relevant to women trying to adopt and optimize the paleo diet for mental health, physical wellness, weight loss, and reproduction. Between the Whole9 and Paleo for Women, I feel like I have access to the best in the latest scientific thinking and research. Stefani has wonderful things to say, too, about healthy body image, produces a kickass podcast called Live. Love. Eat., and recently launched a forum where we women can chat about the stuff that matters to us.

If you read nothing else on her site, do yourself a favor and explore her Kickass Womanhood Rules to Live By.

These are a few of her other posts that I found very helpful:

The Physiology of Women’s Weight Loss Part 1 | Part 2

The Healthiest, Happiest, Easiest Weight Loss in the World

Self-love and Weight Loss: Enemies or Bedfellows?

Binge/Restrict:The Most Common Pattern of Overeating, and How to Stop (with Love!)

Shattering the Myth of Fasting for Women: A Review of Female-Specific Responses to Fasting in the Literature: This was very interesting to me because there’s so much talk about intermittent fasting these days, and it really isn’t right for everyone, as Stefani explores in her article.

Carbohydrates for Fertility and Health: Also really relevant to me because I accidentally went very low carb last year. It wasn’t intentional, I just kinda stopped eating starchy stuff and fruit, then didn’t pay attention to getting enough vegetables. Turns out, that’s not such a good idea for people with hypothyroidism:

… Low-carbohydrate diets contribute to hypothyroidism. Glucose is required for the conversion of T4 to T3 in the liver, so without adequate glucose supplies, the body’s thyroid functioning suffers. This is a problem that many paleo women wrestle with.  Adding just 50 or 100 grams of starchy carbohydrate to a daily diet, however, can increase energy, improve sleep quality, improve quality of skin and hair, and also boost reproductive function.

This is just a sampling of the great stuff Stefani is cranking out. Go visit her!

Punchfork

Punchfork is a foodie site that gathers recipes from popular mainstream sites like Simply Recipes, The Pioneer Woman, Leite’s Culinaria, Bon Appetit, 101 Cookbooks, Picky Palate, and more. But you know what’s really exciting?! Punchfork recently added a Paleo option to its sorting capabilities and is now featuring recipes from Nom Nom Paleo, Health-Bent, and me! It’s delightful to see our web sites in the company of these big-time foodies, and I’m thrilled that Punchfork can help introduce people to the truth we already know: at its heart, eating paleo simply means eating really good food. Dig into Punchfork.

Tags:

14 Responses to “Two Sites You Need To Know”

1. Dana says:

Whoa! Awesomeness!!! Thanks for these :)

2. Morten G says:

Funny, the only problem I have with telling people what to is that they don’t do as I tell them to.

3. YogaandBacon says:

Totally agree that Paleo for Women is super awesome and thanks so much for letting me in on Punchfork, great find!!

4. SnazzyGina says:

Thank you so much for these. I started doing crossfit and eating paleo after baby number 4 was born. I’ve lost all the weight except for a stubborn 10 pounds. I even had my body fat tested and the result was just that: an extra 10 pounds of bodyfat my body doesn’t use. I can’t wait to scour that website and tweak my diet a little. I’ll be competing in my first ever throwdown this coming September in the novice division and I want to be in tip top shape. Thanks again, Mel for and awesome post.

5. Jen says:

Thanks for turning me on to Punchfork! What fantastic eye-candy, I am already drooling :).

6. Jules says:

Never heard of Punchfork- looks like an all-food Pinterest! Probably a new addiction for me! :)

7. Lydia says:

Holy crap. With my most-recently diagnosed food allergies, I’ve cut out most/all of the fruit I was eating. I know I’m below 50g of carbs per day now. I’ve also been suffering some ridiculous new highs in abdominal swelling and lows in energy levels recently. I wonder if these are related. Thank you for the heads-up about this blog. I’m definitely going to start reading it.

8. Alison says:

Thanks for sharing these. You can tell me what to do anytime! haha

9. I just started reading Paleo for Women because I found it tpo be very informative as I go into this paleo journey. Punchfork, I have not seen but looks awesome! Have to check it out! Thanks!

10. Jenn says:

Punchfork looks like a pretty good idea…but membership is limited to Facebook, Google, Yahoo and AOL users. I happen to prefer Twitter and that’s all I use now! Kind of silly to restrict your audience like that.

11. Ena says:

Hi Melissa wanna say I love your blog and your cook book even more !!! Just a quick question at the expense of sounding really stupid what exactly qualify as starchy carbohydrates ???

12. Tony says:

Punchfork is amazing. Wow. Paleo goodness as far as the eye can see! Very cool.

13. Buttoni says:

Thanks so much for mentioning Punchfork, Melissa. I wasn’t familiar with it and am considering shifting from Atkins to Primal Diet and may take on a Whole30 soon. Appreciate all the tips I can get.